Saturday 20 September 2008

The Velvet Orchestra



















I got in contact with The Velvet Orchestra through myspace. I went to meet them at The Cockpit, but realised that I hadn't a clue what they looked like, so I spent a while stood outside feeling stupid. Not as stupid as I felt when I discovered that I'd actually been stood right next to them for quite a while without realising.

After introducing ourselves and stuff we took a short walk and I took some photos under the arches. Unfortunately, my FL40 was playing up a bit so I missed a lot of potentially great shots.

We couldn't shoot for long as the had a sound check, which I stayed around for and they were amazing. They gave me free copies of their EP and single, which I have yet to find a record player to listen to it on (it's a WHITE vinyl!). And a badge, which has been pinned to my camera bag since.

    
 

They were amazing performers and great people. They have inspired me to make more music. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to see them live. One of the doormen refused to let me back in after I stepped outside to make a phone call, then I stood in the rain till I found them again round the back. I hate doormen.

I took a few shots for their record label (Salt The Wound), but due to fore-mentioned problems with my flash, only two came out.

In the photo is The Velvet Orchestra, Solus Locus (another band signed to Salt the Wound), and the label managers.















Then I went home to change into dry clothes. 

I planned to go to their next gig a few days later. The doorman didn't let me in. I hate doormen.

Even though I haven't seen them play live yet, I'm still incredibly chuffed that I managed to watch their soundcheck, cos they're ace.


The Velvet Orchestra can be found at: www.myspace.com/thevelvetorchestra
Listen to: The Creator, These Children Are The Future.

Salt the Wound label can be found at: www.saltthewoundrecords.co.uk

Leemun's art company is worth checking out too, I love their design work. They made all the album artwork. The Velvet Orchestra aren't just music. They are art.
www.kraffhics.com

No comments: